Blog

Words by Julie - Living Life With Paralysis

Healing with time and rest 6

My burns are healing well – arm and cheek especially. My legs, because of the reduced blood circulation (that comes with an SCI), are taking much longer. I suspect it will be close to two months before the new skin is closed over the burns. And they will scar, for sure.

Once again, I feel fortunate to live in Ontario where we have an amazing medical system. It has allowed me to have nurses come to the house to change the dressings, monitor progress and provide supplies – including the expensive dressing that doesn’t stick to the healing skin.

Today, two weeks later, I was able to get my compression socks up over the bandages – hoping this will help the blood get back up out of my feet and ankles (especially on the right, the more damaged side). I’ve been spending a lot of time with my feet up, way up, which has also helped.

Some people are squirmy about seeing things like burns on skin so you’ll just have to use your imagination. But it is looking better.

6 comments

• Doris Haw says:

I am glad to hear that you are starting to heal, have been thinking about you

• lois macpherson says:

Pleased to hear that things are on the positive side of healing. I have been kept in touch with your journey via your Mom. She is a great neighbour and friend to us, and I l know that she worries about you, as all Mom’s do. Keep doing what you have to do to get those burns healed. Lois MacPherson

• Gary Clark says:

So how would finish this quote, “Once burnt….”

• Marguerite Thomas says:

Oh Julie, I am so sorry that you had such a nasty misfortune. I think of you often and wish you a speedy recovery time and very best wishes.

• Judy Redford says:

Happy to hear that you are healing Julie! Such a misfortune that this accident ever happened…….
    Sending hugs and best wishes to speed up the healing……..

• WorkHorse Jen says:

Happy to finally find you here Julie. Truly amazing stories and so inspiring. Hoping your healing well? thinking of you. j